Waistcoat: collar

If you are under the impression that I have been lazy, you are (seriously but not entirely) mistaken. I have spent several hours these last weeks working on the waistcoat, and now I see the light in the tunnel. I promised to be detailed with the construction of the collar, so many photos today.

Photo by Regencygentleman

I started by measuring the length of the collar. I stood in front of a mirror wearing the waistcoat to decide how far the collar would go. Marked with pins at both ends.

Photo by Regencygentleman

Then I cut my collar. Three pieces (from top): outer fabric, heavy linen for interfacing and linen for lining.

Photo by Regencygentleman

The interfacing is stitched to the outer fabric. Note that interfacing follows the shape more closely. The excess fabric will be trimmed later.

Photo by Regencygentleman

Same piece seen from the right side. Observe that the outer layer has an inset piece of linen in order to save fabric. This will end up at centre back, and will be hidden beneath the collar of the coat.

image

The collar (three layers) is then sewn together on three sides. Seam allowances and corners trimmed, and the entire thing turned right side out.

Photo by Regencygentleman

Three layers. The part I´m holding here is then pinned to the waistcoat…

Photo by Regencygentleman

… like so. Right sides together. I started at centre back on both pieces…

Photo by Regencygentleman

… and up to the marking (the needle) at the front.

Photo by Regencygentleman

This is after I sewed with a small backstitch through waistcoat and two layers of collar.

Photo by Regencegentleman

This is where the collar ends. The remaining part of the front forms the lapel. Here it is folded and pinned along same line as collar seam. The linen looks very green.

Photo by Regencegentleman

And seen from the inside. Seam allowance on collar and interfacing pressed upwards. The seam to the right is the shoulder seam.

Photo by Regencegentleman

The lining is folded down and pinned, then whip-stitched.

Photo by Regencegentleman

Next: Adding facing to the front edges. There was just enough pink linen left for this. I folded and pressed the front edge and then carefully whipstitched it in place. The top of the facing (with original hem) then covers the raw edge of the lapel.

Photo by Regencegentleman

I still thought the inside of the collar a bit messy so I decided to add a strip of linen to cover the seam with the added bonus of giving extra support to the collar.

Photo by Regencegentleman

There!

Photo by Regencegentleman

Closeup to show inside of collar and lapel.

Photo by Regencegentleman

Closeup of collar and lapel.

image

Almost there! I need to add buttons, buttonholes and prick-stitch all edges.

 

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Waistcoat: collar

  1. Wonderful! Thank you for all the photos. I am sure I will refer back to them as I work on my waistcoat which I am making for a Box Hill picnic scheduled just two weeks away. I will be using a yellow “shantung silk” type cloth that actually looks like raw silk but isn’t. I’ve made a waistcoat from this cloth before and it is stiff enough to look good in this type of garment. Your technique is very similar to the one I followed when I “accidently” put a collar on a waistcoat with a lot of guess work. The only change I intend to make is to design my collar to extend directly down into the vest thus eliminating the lapels. The collar shape would be different but otherwise the procedure would be the same.
    Thank you, thank you for the photos! I can see exactly how you have attached the collar.

  2. Pingback: New Waistcoat | Regencygentleman

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s