New neckwear for the ball

Welcome to Regency gentleman! Several half-hearted posts on this blog were never written due to a hectic summer and the extreme heat wave.

Regencygentleman

Looking very calm only minutes before the ball…

I will share some gorgeous pictures from the ball, but first, some of the work that was carried out in order to make it happen.

Photo by Regencygentleman

No, I will not bother you with the sweat and drudgery that goes into preparing for a ball in a Baroque palace.

Photo by Regencygentleman

Nor the brains and muscles required when moving a harpsichord.

Let us take a closer look at some costuming instead. It would have been nice to make something more spectacular, such as a new pair of white satin breeches, but my schedule and level of energy did not allow it. I did however update my look over a couple of evenings prior to the ball by sewing a new cravat. Not only that, but a stock to go with it, with the aid of a shirt ruffle.

My intention was to use linen (more historically accurate), but the one I had was not fine enough. I am aware that it is probably fashion forward, but I opted for some fine cotton batiste:

Photo by Regencygentleman

I´ve been meaning to make a stock for ages. Better late than never! You can read more about this type of neckwear here. I cut enough of the batiste to just go around my neck. The height ended up about the same size, so basically a square. I hemmed the top and bottom edges. Then i ran a gathering stitch on both ends, and gathered the cotton to the required height, about three inches:

Photo by Regencygentleman

Gathering the ends.

These gathers are kept in place by narrow tabs. The stock was fastened with a buckle, hooks or buttons. I didn´t have time for that and quickly stitched some cotton tape to the ends:

Photo by Regencegentleman

Like so…

The new cravat didn’t need the same width as my old ones, so i cut it about two inches wide, and hemmed all edges. You can see a glimpse of it above.

Another strip of the cotton batiste was hemmed (took me longer than expected!) and gathered, then secured to some cotton tape, and basted to the front of my shirt. A ruffle!

With all pieces assembled it looked like this:

Photo by Regencygentleman

Cravat, stock, and ruffle. Ready for the ball!

It was a fun and easy project, and comfortable to wear. Before next wearing I´ll starch everything to achieve a crispier effect, though.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s